Saturday, December 5, 2009

Wow, I'm in Florida!

If I'd had a camera, and could have taken photos while driving without endangering my life, I'd have taken a photo of the I-95 sign in Jacksonville -- "I-95 Daytona Beach".

It's kind of awesome.

I'm staying with my friend Matt's family in what is an honest-to-God gated community. The security guard, an imposing looking fellow with a not-so-passing resemblance to G. Gordon Liddy, was tougher on me than most border guards are (when I travel unbearded, that is). They have a giant house, neat as a pin, which backs onto what is either a natural or an artificial pond which is almost large enough to be called a lake.

The drive down was a lot of fun -- rainy and miserable at first (and slightly scary), but then nice and easy, over some not-so-busy roadway. Didn't get crowded till I crossed into Florida, at which point it got slightly hairy -- cars going at seventy-five, packed into tight formations.

My aunt is looking at hooking me up with relatives of relatives, either in Texas or Indiana -- it'd be nicer than a hotel, that's for sure.

Decisions, decisions...

Oh, and I'll probably make it to the oldest European settlement in the continental United States tomorrow -- St. Augustine.

Should be interesting...

1 comment: